Biodegradable Glitter - WTF?
Regular glitter is plastic!
By using glitter, you're leaving micro plastics wherever your sparkles flutter off. (Read more about plastic glitter & our environment)
Eco friendly and biodegradable alternatives to traditional plastic glitters has been developed, and is here to reduce the microplastic pollution created by glitter.
What is biodegradable glitter?
At Glitterazzi we only use Bioglitter™. Why? Because Bioglitter™ uses sustainably and ethically sourced natural and plant derived materials as its base rather than plastic; a special form of cellulose made from eucalyptus rather than polyester.
They are PROVEN through independent ISO14851/2 fresh water testing of the whole Bioglitter™ product, core and coating, to quickly biodegrade into harmless substances in the natural environment. It's not only biodegradable, but also compostable. Glitterazzi.me is a Bioglitter™ licenced Australian company.
How does biodegradable glitter degrade?
Biodegradable eco-friendly glitter does not dissolve in water, it requires bacteria and microorganisms to biodegrade.
Once the glitter enters the environment such as a paddock, river, the ocean or even wastewater microbes will start to consume the biodegradable content turning it into carbon dioxide, water, and biomass. The speed at which the glitter biodegrades depends on the local environmental factors, such as heat, moisture, and concentration of microbes but can be a minimum of just 4 weeks!
In a microbe and bacteria free environment our eco friendly biodegradable glitter is completely durable. No microbes means no biodegradation.
Our eco friendly biodegradable glitter is certified compostable in both industrial and home composting environments and marine and wastewater biodegradable. There is no other glitter on the market like it.
Ocean Safe. Outdoor Festival Safe. Urban Environment Safe.
Want to see how biodegradable glitter biodegrades? Glitterazzi are running their own experiment to see how biodegradable glitter biodegrades. You can read this story and more in our blog The Alternative Sparkle.
Is biodegradable glitter better for humans?
Biodegradable glitter is not just better for the environment, it's also better for you.
- Non-toxic. No antimony. No heavy metals. Yay Biodegradable Glitter. The total antimony level in our biodegradable glitter is <0.5ppm (parts per million). This is the limit of the analysis by Inductively Coupled Argon Plasma Spectrometry (ICP-MS) and therefore can be said to be antimony-free.
No antimony is used in the production process of biodegradable glitter, unlike the production of polyester used in traditional cosmetic and non-cosmetic plastic glitter. Levels of antimony in cosmetic plastic glitter are controlled to maximum 150ppm, correspondingly the antimony levels in non-cosmetic plastic glitter are not controlled and therefore significantly higher.
This metal, often used as a flame retardant in everyday items such as toys, can irritate the eyes and skin - not so good when we love putting sparkles on our precious faces and other delicate areas.
- Biodegradable glitter is silkier & softer. That's 30-40% softer than polyester glitter. So it's simply a better sparkly experience for your client or self.
- Globally cosmetic regulations compliant. Biodegradable glitter incorporates specially selected ingredients and pigments that meet the requirements of EC Regulation 1223/2009 and FDA Title 21 CFR Regulations.